Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday Favs!

I skipped Friday Favs last week because I didn't have time to upload all the pictures! This week I didn't really have any "favs" though, so here is what I wanted to share from last week:
Favorite Household Tip: Sustainable Green Onions
I use green onions all the time while cooking, and even throw them into recipes that don't call for them, just for the color.  I also substitute them for scallions sometimes.  I saw this tip online, and had to try it. It has been working pretty great so far!

Put green onions that you have almost completely used into a glass of water and place it by your window.  Here is what mine looked like Easter Sunday when I first started...


And here they are on Monday.  You should see them now! They are about 8" tall.  I need to trim them down and use them in a recipe.  I will just use scissors to cut them off when I need them. 


Favorite Money (and Calorie) Saving Recipe: Homemade Peanut Butter
This one was easy-peasy and is soooo much healthier than store bought peanut butter.  Chris likes to eat peanut butter and honey sandwhiches before flying because I guess it helps keep him from getting sick.  All you need to make homemade peanut butter is peanuts and olive oil.  I bought salted peanuts, but if you bought unsalted ones you may want to add some salt.  I couldn't tell you how much olive oil I used...I just kept adding it until it looked like there was enough! Also, we added a touch of *real* honey that we bought at the farmer's market...we liked the flavor it gave.



On Easter Sunday, I used the peanut butter and blended it with more honey, some soy sauce, and chicken broth to make a glaze for the ham.  It was delicious and a couple of people commented on how good the peanut butter taste was with the ham. 

Favorite New Veggie Discovery of the Week: Kale
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but neither Chris nor I had ever had kale before.  So when we saw it for sale at the farmer's market on Saturday morning, we decided to give it a shot.  I didn't really know what to do with it.  Originally I planned to use it in a salad, but I wound up finding this recipe that had a bunch of stuff that I already had in my pantry, and giving it a try for dinner Sunday night.  It was soooo good...we will definitely be having this again!!


Yes, I know it sounds wierd...maybe even a little gross to some...but it was SO yummy! We love sweet potatoes, so we figured it would be pretty good but it was better than we thought it would be.  I added some gorgonzola cheese, and I think that enhanced the recipe even more.

Favorite Entertaining Idea: Champagne Bar
This worked really nicely and was so elegant and fun! I set out both Champagne and Spumante (they taste a little different), and for fruit I put out fresh strawberries from the farmer's market, canned peaches because I had them, and some frozen fruit (frozen fruit is always good to include because they also can act as ice cubes to keep it cold.  The guys mostly just put fruit in their champagne, but the girls liked to make mimosas.  So I set out some regular orange juice and some delicious mango-pineapple-apple-grape juice mixture (Welch's).  Such a cute presentation, very easy, and lots of fun! It was perfect for a relaxing Sunday afternoon.



 
Favorite Wardrobe Addition of the Week: Toms
I have always liked the idea of Tom's shoes (they give one pair of shoes to a child who needs them for every pair they sell)...but...I just didn't like how they looked! I bought this pair and it came in the mail last week.  I have been wearing them constantly because they are so comfy, cute, and they have holes in them so it's not gross that I can't wear socks with them! :)

Ignore the safety pin keeping the hem of my pants together, haha...yeah I know, I really need new pants.  I've had these since high school though...I guess they have sentimental value!



No comments:

Post a Comment