Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hello, World!

FINALLY, I am able to post! Chris and I are moved in, pretty much completely, with the exception of a few boxes full of my shoes.  This is going to be a lonnng post, as I have been dying to update everyone with our lives. It has been rough living in a black hole of technology, but things are finally looking up, as we got internet and phone service last week.  I will start from the beginning of the move....

We have been here for 2 weeks and one day now.  The move=work work work! Let's just say my husband had his first lesson about the benefits of listening to his wife...the day we got the U-Haul, I told him, " stuff won't fit in there".  Chris insisted that there was no way I had enough stuff that it wouldn't fit inside a 20 foot U-Haul.  I guess he momentarily forgot who he married, because everyone who knows me knows I have a weakness for stuff.  Well, about 11PM on the night before the move, he came to the admission that the stuff...definitely wasn't going to fit.  He had to go to U-Haul at 6:30AM the morning of the move to get another small U-Haul. Here's two pictures of the big one:

Well, I'm sure there were many doubts as to whether all the stuff in these two U-Hauls would fit into our 1100 square foot duplex/house.  I am proud to say that not only did ALL of it fit...but there is room for more! So no reason to hold off on the Christmas gifts! (haha) The military does a great job of building houses with LOTS of storage.  We have 10 closets!

The trip to Columbus took about 4 hours.  My parents came down with us 3 Fridays ago and helped us paint.  This was a pretty big job since the walls were what I refer to as "armpit stain gray". Yes it sounds nasty, and it was. Also, I probably didn't buy nice enough paint because we had to use 2 coats everywhere except in the kitchen, where we used 3.  On Saturday, the troops came down in full to help, which consisted of Tammy, Greg, Warren, Lisa, Chris Sr., and well as two paid move-men. Everyone was such a huge help, and I would go as far as to say we all actually had fun moving in and spending time together. When everyone left Sunday morning, I was hard to believe that now, it was just Chris, Mason, and me. It's scary when you have the realization that grown up life has really begun...and I miss my friends a LOT.  Not having internet or phone service made it worse. But we have had so much fun doing "married stuff" that has taken my mind off of it...on our first night alone together in our house, I made dinner and we ate off of our fine china and crystal.

Chris and I have AT&T, so on the Monday after the move, we went to the AT&T store here in Columbus to try to get out of our contract.  Instead, they offered to give us a $200 device for free, which allows us to use our phones within our house with 5 bars of service.  Internet is necessary to get it to work, so AT&T told us they would come install the internet for us on that Thursday.  Long story short...didn't happen! We FINALLY got internet this Wednesday, and now I'm much happier because I can call and text people without having to drive off the base, and they can call me. And I can post to the blog!

Chris and I spent the rest of the time we have been in Columbus fixing up the house, and doing some exploring. We discovered a cool art gallery and a LOT of cute shops in Columbus.  Columbus really has a lot more than I thought it did initially.  There are even some bars downtown that we have heard are pretty fun, and we went to a great restaurant called J. Broussards for dinner last weekend.  There is an amazing sushi place in Starkville called Umi that was voted best sushi in Mississippi that is opening a location in Columbus.  The other day when I was getting a pedicure, I discovered an adorable dress shop that sells a lot of the things that shops in downtown Auburn sell.  There is also a farmer's market and a riverwalk that I hear I need to check out. And, sometime, I want to make a trip to the Harrahs Tunica, about 2 hours away, to experience the Paula Deen buffet! Chris and I have been socializing some,'s hard to make as many friends at the moment because we keep hearing that you really get close to the people in your pilot training class and their wives, and Chris won't start that til April.  But I went to a wive's club potluck the Tuesday after we moved, and there is another social this Tuesday that I am going to attend.  I met some really nice girsl there.  Of course, we have our friends Jon and Autumn (Chris knew Jon from the Academy, and they got married the day before us), and we hang out with them a lot, and across the street there is an Auburn couple that we have had dinner with a couple of times. So things are really looking up, and even though it was hard at first, I am loving this new stage of my life. Being married is so much fun, and I like living on a military base way more than I thought I would!

We had 2 Mexican nights where we invited other couples over...yay fiesta!
On the first night, we had a taco bar...which wan excuse for me to use practically half our wedding gifts!

Our friends, Jon and Autumn

 Here are some before/after pictures of the house...the before/after idea was a little difcult because they just did not want to arrange the way I wanted them they are out of order:

Hutch with our fine china on the top, then Christmas china on the bottom...pretty much everything in/on it, besides the Christmas china, were wedding gifts.

This is our curio cabinet.  The top shelf has an Auburn theme, the next down is Air Force, the next down is wedding memorabilia, the next down is mostly stuff from our travels, and the bottom shelf is mostly wedding gifts.

Chris and I painted those at Sips-n-Strokes!

Entrance hallway after
Bathroom after...not very good pics because it is teensy!
Bedroom after
Entrance hallway after...there will be a runner here when it comes in! We ordered one for the den and living room,  but it came in the wrong color so we are waiting on the correct one, which matches the wall...
Our kitchen table that we got cheap from Angel's Antiques...I hated it at first, but now that I have it fixed up with a rug underneath, I like it okay!

Wine rack and fridge (next to the curio cabinet) with a picture I painted at Sips-n-Strokes

Kitchen before

Kitchen after

Bedroom after...not quite finished with this one
Bedroom before
Our patio area/part of our fairly large backhard
Entrance hallway before
Shower curtain in our barthroom...bathroom is just too small to take good pics!

As I said...very out of order! I just couldn't figure out how...never mind.
Anyway, on Thursday I started my job, which has also proven to be a difficult adjustment.  Chris really hasn't had to do anything but check in and go to a couple of hours of meetings a day, so it is hard being at work knowing that he and Mason are at home.  Be Chris has been awesome about keeping the house clean while I have been gone, and even cooked dinner last night for me. I don't know if I will like my job yet, but I know I am going to stick with it while we are here...I just hate training! It's so boring! But I know once I get trained and have my own work to do, the days will pass a lot faster.  I have my own office that we are going to today to hang up my diplomas in, and I found out that I will be doing some travel to Birmingham.  My official job title is "Portfolio Analytics and Reporting Specialist".  I am okay with the commute, althit is a bit boring, but someone offered to carpool with me and I think I will take her up it.  It is a 35 minute commute each way. Also, there is an office in Columbus that I may be able to work some out of once I get trained. I have just got to get my body adjusted to waking up so early!

Anyway, this extremely long post is all I am going to share for now.  I hope to be a lot more current on my blogging now that we have common technology! We miss everyone and are looking forward to coming to visit the week of August for the Event Center's Brew Fest, as well as for the first two home football games.  That is as far ahead as we have planned for now.

I will leave y'all with two extremely cute pics of my men!

The Becks

P.S. Our wedding pics are up at  Go to Enter Site, then Gallery, then Amanda and Chris.  They are great!


  1. Loved reading this to get caught up and to see the "after" pictures. Thanks for keeping in touch. Hope to see y'all soon. We would like to bring your house warming gift, those big AU pictures and some other things to you. Love to both, Tammy/Mom

  2. I have my martini painting in my kitchen, too! I feel like we are connected through our Sips n' Stokes loving selves haha House looks so cute! I'm going to do my blog soon with an update. Spolier alert...I have a laundry room, dishwasher, and even a plug in the bathroom! haha Talk to you soon!

  3. loved reading this and so glad you put up pictures so I could see! I'm already getting really excited about that weekend in October that you told me about where I (hopefully) can come up there! love y'all both!